SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare material, tooling and labor estimates for products by performing the following duties.
- Creates cost estimates from prints and specifications, 3D models, and from concept to development data.
- Creates technical, and commercial conditions related to manufacturability, tolerances, purchased material minimums, tooling and processes.
- Coordinates estimating process with other Maysteel functions including supply chain, tooling, development center, production, and finance.
- Develops cost reduction proposals by leveraging Maysteel best practices vs. competition.
- Develops creative design solutions for best cost alternatives.
- Communicates with customers to resolve issues during estimating process, and with internal staff to gain and leverage Maysteel processes to maximize Maysteel competiveness.
- Updates estimates upon receipt of change request.
- Prepares cost reduced design for manufacturing alternative proposals.
- Prepares itemized lists of required tooling.
- Prepares listing of all deviation, exceptions, and notes used to define quote assumptions used to determine pricing so they can be added to the quote form.
- Maintains log of estimates in process, stage of completion and previously completed estimates.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, analysts, and internal customers. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. This position may be responsible for directing work of junior estimators.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school in industrial or manufacturing engineering or two to four years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience and exposure to design for manufacturing techniques.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, possess estimating or hands-on experience with metal fabrication, CAD experience, possess good presentation skills, project a professional image, and have above average verbal and written communication skills. In addition, must be an “advocate” for the customer and demonstrate excellent accountability skills.
Creativity –Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions; tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings.
Action-Orientated –Enjoys working hard, is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
Integrity and Trust –Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Priority Setting –Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Time Management –Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.