SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under direct supervision of Engineering mentors, the NPD Engineering Coop is responsible for providing technical assistance within the Engineering Department. The Coop will participate in product development and advanced engineering projects that range from new concepts to production-ready designs. This person will be responsible for preparing designs, constructing accurate 3D CAD models and creating preliminary and production 2D drawings. In addition, this professional will complete other engineering-related projects as directed. The primary purpose of this great opportunity is to develop engineering job skill that can be applied in the profession.
DAILY JOB DUTIES:
- Manage multiple engineering projects as assigned for improving product cost, quality, and performance.
- Address and resolve production and customer problems related to existing product design.
- Provide engineering support for product performance and design issues in the manufacturing cells.
- Review products to insure they meet expectations during changes.
- Submit and conduct hands-on validation tests in the test lab to ensure products meet their life and performance requirements for either product redesigns, or when validating new suppliers.
- Maintain positive working relationships with cross-functional teams including sourcing, purchasing, quality and operations.
- Effectively communicate with cross functional teams, suppliers, customers, distributors, and sales personnel.
- Assign part numbers and engineering release notice numbers.
- Enter product information in product master on ERP system.
- Create and maintain engineering 3D models and drawings for manufactured and purchased products.
- Calculate and dimension both flat pattern and formed view detailed production drawings.
- Analyze and implement customer revisions of current products. Maintain and update Engineering Release Notification process.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments as necessary.
- Perform additional projects, tasks, and/or assignments as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Working towards or completed an Associate's Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mechanical Design or similar field of study from two-year/four year college or technical school.
- Experience in 3D solid modeling required. Any level of Certification is a plus.
- Sheet metal design knowledge is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and within a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, planning and organization skills.
- Highly motivated, proactive, and willing to take on new challenges.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft’s Office Productivity Suite is desirable.
- Candidate must be willing to learn through doing
- Action-Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Technical Learning- Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge – like Internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars.
- Time Management – Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Standing Alone – Will stand up and be counted; doesn’t shirk personal responsibility; can be counted on when times are tough; willing to be the only champion for an idea or position; is comfortable working alone on a tough assignment.
- Ethics & Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.