SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general guidance of the Development Engineering Manager, this position will develop and review sample/prototype and pilot designs prior to production launch. This individual works with Project and Program Engineers, Tech Center and Tool Room team members as well as Maysteel customers, to design and develop products and manufacturing processes to meet desired objectives. As project workload varies, the Development Engineer may be required to direct activities of outside engineering service providers that aid with 3D modeling or drawing creation.
- Lead design and development engineering on assigned programs from concept to product launch.
- Lead problem solving and failure analysis activities for assigned program teams.
- Works with team members to develop capable, cost effective manufacturing and assembly processes concurrent to product design activities.
- Ensure robust designs are delivered to Program Engineering that meet customer specifications.
- Interact with Business Development Managers to meet the specifications and needs of the customer in the development of new products.
- Develop, lead, and actively participate in the Design Review process for new products.
- Assist in resolving multiple complex engineering problems simultaneously in a team environment.
- Continuously improve the processes, skills, team environment and tools necessary to achieve successful Sample/Prototype/Pilot delivery.
- Proactively compile, prepare and present data for timely project updates and technical presentations to staff and/or senior management.
- Develop and maintain engineering 3D models, BOM’s and drawings for Sample/Prototype/Pilot designs.
- Calculate and dimension both flat pattern and formed view detailed prototype and production drawings.
- Assist CAD Designers to analyze and implement customer revisions of current products. Maintain and update Engineering Release Notification process.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments as necessary.
- Perform additional projects, tasks, and/or assignments as necessary.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or A.S Degree in Mechanical Design with 5 – 10 yrs experience in Product Development Engineering with manufacturing environment exposure or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive cross-functional product development/ program management experience.
- Demonstrated aptitude in Advanced Failure Analysis and scientific problem solving, including FEA, FMEA, DOE and DFMA.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient knowledge level in Microsoft products.
- Experience in Creo and SolidWorks 3D modeling, AutoCAD 2D drawing experience.
- Demonstrated sheet metal design and flat pattern creation experience.
- Complete understanding of indented bills of materials, routings, and MRP.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to approximately 15% of the time, both domestically and internationally
- Ability to effectively work with customers and vendors from different culture/countries.
- Action-Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Technical Learning- Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge – like Internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars.
- Time Management – Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Standing Alone – Will stand up and be counted; doesn’t shirk personal responsibility; can be counted on when times are tough; willing to be the only champion for an idea or position; is comfortable working alone on a tough assignment.
- Ethics & Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.