SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under direct supervision, the CAD Designer is responsible for providing skilled technical assistance in the modification of new and existing customer product designs. This individual will prepare designs, interrogate Customer 3D CAD models, and create preliminary and production 2D drawings. In addition, the CAD Designer will complete and update the Engineering Release Notification system as directed for all projects.
- Assign part numbers and engineering release notice numbers.
- Enter product information in product master on ERP system.
- Create and maintain engineering 3D models and drawings for manufactured and purchased products.
- Effectively change 3D Customer models for DFM changes for cost improvement and manufacturability.
- Maintain project Bill of Material spread sheet for rev control and all purchase content for top level products.
- Calculate and dimension both flat pattern and formed view detailed production drawings.
- Work with customers to maintain model database integrity thru FTP site transfers and rev control.
- Analyze and implement customer revisions of current products. Maintain and update Engineering Release Notification process.
- Investigate print problems related to manufacturability and perform design work for manufacturability and cost reductions.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments as necessary.
- Perform additional projects, tasks, and/or assignments as necessary.
- Assist manager with Engineering software customization, and keep abreast with new software updates and implementation of same.
- Participate in NRE related projects for customers, either in design from scratch model control, and/or DFM implementation on exiting products thru model rebuild and customer integration.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree (A. A.) in Mechanical Design or a similar field from two-year college or technical school and 2-3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Expert level knowledge in Microsoft products required.
- 3-5 years experience in Pro-E and/or SolidWorks 3D modeling required. Certification in either format is required.
- 3-5 years sheet metal design experience required.
- CSWPA-SM a plus
- Action-Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Technical Learning- Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge – like Internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars.
- Time Management – Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Standing Alone – Will stand up and be counted; doesn’t shirk personal responsibility; can be counted on when times are tough; willing to be the only champion for an idea or position; is comfortable working alone on a tough assignment.
- Ethics & Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.